Legal Question in Immigration Law in Missouri

hello, My name is Javier Rivero and I just got married to my husband, we're a gay couple and we are now using his last name, and I took his last name, becoming Javier Seabaugh, the thing is that we don't know if we need to fill an affidavit of name change and where do I do that? thnak you very much

Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White

Typically you would not need to do anything further than have the marriage license if you are using some form of your spouse's name. You may want to do a legal name change if you encounter any difficulties, but it is not necessary that you do so. That said, was this an immigration related question?

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Unfortunately, this is not an Immigration Law question.

In California, once a couple is married, the female spouse is not required to file a legal name change with the Court. I would assume this would apply to same sex marriage, as well. However, I would check with the County Recorder's office, in the State that you were married, to verify what the legal procedure there.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Missouri