Legal Question in Immigration Law in Missouri

My sister was born in Switzerland. Her mother is a US citizen so my sister was born American. Assuming that she stays in Europe, will her kids automatically become US citizens?

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

One does not automatically become a citizen if they are not born in the United States, even to a U.S. citizen parent(s). Her children would not automatically become U.S. citizens either. Different determining factors include if the parents were married, if the father was a U.S. citizen, if any of them ever lived in the U.S., if the child ever lived with the U.S. citizen parent, etc.

I recommend that your sister contact the U.S. Consulate in the country that she is living in for more information, or contact a U.S. Immigration Attorney for a more detailed evaluation of her circumstances.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Missouri