Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Missouri

A friend and I signed a year lease on an apartment, agreeing to split the rent and utilities, both names are on the lease, and now she is moving out and I am supposed to pay the full rent and utilities. We have only been living here for a month, is there anything I can do legally to get her to pay her half, that she agreed to?

Anthony Smith LawSmith

As you probably already know, you are each liable to the landlord for the entire rent. If you get behind on rent, and the landlord sues you, you can bring the co-tenant in the suit. The urinate would have to reimburse you for one half the rent. If you stay current on the rent, you can sure the absent roommate to get reimbursed for their share.

As for utilities, the person in whose name, the account is, will be liable to each utility provider. If one is in the name of the absentee roommate, they can probably successfully sue you fir recompense of one half. The opposite may not be so.

Good luck

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Missouri

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms