Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

Can you have a will made and make sure your spouse gets nothing whenyou die?

Asked on 9/25/13, 8:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Probably not. A surviving spouse can select to take their statutory share, despite what their deceased spouses will says. There may be ways to not leave anything, by artful use of lifetime trusts. But, those schemes aren't foolproof. If the spouse agrees in writing to an estate plan that leaves nothing to them, the chances increase. But, even then they may be allowed to elect to batik claim property at death. The only sure way, is to own nothing for several years before you die.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 5:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now