Nevada  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/20/13, 9:31 pm

I was divorced in CA and live in NV. I have not gotten child support since my ex medically retired from the depart of corrections in CA. In our divorce settlement I was also entitled to 7.5 years of the his retirement at the value when our divorce was final. I found out there was no QDRO filed at the time of my divorce so when I found out my ex was collecting his retirement I paid a firm in NV to file the QDRO as most law offices sub out this service. We have been working on this for months as Cal-Pers has been particular. A few weeks back we finally had an answer from Kings County CA and they state I need to now file a "joinder". The QDRO firm states they ahve never encountered this and send me the information on how to file the joinder. I have tried calling Kings County Clerk and get no answers other than they cannot give me legal advice nor do they tell me why I now need to file this. I am beyond understanding. Between that and trying to get help here in NV with my CA child support issues I don't know what to do. Here is what I am asking, Why if my divorce settlement clearly states I have a right to his Cal-Pers retirement do I now need to pay to file this joinder?

Second, how can I get someone to help me with my lack of payment on my child support and the 2.5 years of unpaid spousal support? The NV office tried to help me but twice had me fill out the wrong papers(supposedly since my ex lives in CA I must fill out different papers). I sent the CA papers to them and they have not received them, twice. Their main office is a few hours from here but I am at my wits end. What can I do?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search