New Jersey  |  Entertainment Law

I live in New Jersey. I have gained a Provisional Patent for a new game show. It is similar to Wheel of Forture, however, it is played at a much faster pace with different rules.

Here is my question. Because this is a game of skill, I would like to offer this game in the state of New Jersey to customers who would "pay to play" for cash prizes. The game can either be played as a table game set-up (like Blackjack) or as a Tournament. However, in either case, the winner of the game is totally based on skill. There is no element of chance involved.

I will initially be offering this game show to movie theatres, where one movie house screen will be turned into a TV Studio, which customers giving an entry fee, and the winner walking away with a Grand Prize of $500, $1,000, etc.

I just want to verify this is legal in New Jersey.

Answered on: 5/07/10, 9:17 am by Daniel Pepper

If it is truly a game of skill, then they are generally permissible. However, that determination is not always cut and dried, so you would be well advised to consult with an attorney familiar with sweepstakes and game laws.

Feel free to give my office a call if you'd like to discuss your situation further.

Pepper Law Group, LLC 361 Route 31, Suite 1402 Flemington, NJ 08822