New Jersey  |  Medical Malpractice

I went to the hospital with excruciating abdominal pain, the er gave me pain medicine and sent me home with the same pain. A couple days later the pain was even more excruciating to the point where I couldn't breathe. My husband called 911 which took me to a different hospital that found within minutes of my arrival I needed emergency surgery for a ruptured viscus which the surgeon explained to my family was there for some time. Now I wasn't properly treated or even looked at from the first hospital and I feel that it could have been worse and because of their negligence I lost almost 2/3 of my stomach. The surgeon had to use pancreas and small intestines to try to create a stomach.

Answered on: 12/05/11, 8:14 am by Joseph Grassi

When you say the surgeon said the ruptured viscus was there for some time, do you know if he meant days, weeks, or longer?

this could be a viable case, if the rupture occurred shortly before or around the time you went tot he first hospital, and if immediate treatment would have resulted in better outcome.

On the other hand, if immediate treatment would not have altered the outcome, and your damages are limited to the fact "it could have been worse" and 3 days of additional pain, then even if negligence occurred, it would not be worth pursuing.

You must consult an experienced medical malpractice attorney, who will obtain your records, and have them reviewed by a competent person with enough medical training to review those issues for you.

I am not sure I am close enough to you to serve you, but please feel free to contact me, and I will put you in touch with the best.

Barry, Corrado, Grassi & Gibson, PC 2700 Pacific Avenue Wildwood, NJ 08260