New Jersey  |  Real Estate Law

I am on the deed of the property however not on the mortage as we were scammed. now I still live in the property and the person on the mortgage is letting it go to foreclosure what are some options for me we are a family with four children

Answered on: 7/22/13, 2:37 pm by Miriam Jacobson

Are you saying that you own the property but someone else put a mortgage on it? If that is the case, you have to answer the mortgage lawsuit and say that.

If that is not the case, but there is some other "scam" that put a mortgage on your property, you still have to respond quickly to try to save your home.

This is a complicated process, and you need a lawyer. If you qualify for free legal services, check if your county has a Legal Services organization, or if there is a nearby Law School that provides legal assistance. You have to do this very promptly, because otherwise the foreclosure will proceed.

THIS RESPONSE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, SINCE I DO NOT HAVE ALL OF THE INFORMATION THAT WOULD BE REQUIRED, AND I DO NOT HAVE A REPRESENTATION AGREEMENT WITH YOU.

* If the answers to your question confirm that you have a valid issue or worthwhile claim, your next step should almost always be to establish a dialog with a lawyer who can provide specific advice to you. Contact a lawyer in your county or township.

* Another reason for contacting a lawyer is that it is often impossible to give a good answer in the Internet Q&A format without having more information. The unique circumstances of your situation and things that you may not have thought to mention in your question may completely change the answer. If you want to be sure that you have a complete answer to your question and an understanding of what that answer means, establish a connection with a lawyer who practices in the area of your concern.

Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson 1900 JFK Blvd. Suite 1519 Philadelphia, PA 19103-1431