Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey

I have a deed now in my name and my wife's name. She passed away in 1997 and since

I was so distraught I somehow neglected to change the deed at that time to my name

only. Now applying for financial help, the organization wants a deed just with my

name on it. I tried Staples, Office Depot, etc. and they have Quick claim deeds,

Warranty deeds and other names but not the one I need. What can I do? Is there a

deed, just s plain deed, that I can get somewhere?

Thank you

Warren Lewis

Larry Raiken Larry S Raiken LLC

First of all there is no need to get a new deed made because by operation of law a home owned by husband and wife automatically goes to the survivor but if you need a deed forma I suggest you contact All-State Legal Supply in cranford NJ 908 272 0800

Jeffrey Walters Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Walters, LLC

If the deed has the names of you and your deceased spouse as "husband and wife," then that is called a "tenancy by the entirety" and upon her death you automatically became the sole owner. If that is the case, then it is really unnecessary to have a new deed prepared. You would be deeding the property from yourself to yourself. Why does this organization insist on this being done? If the deed was a form of ownership called "tenants in common," then it is a little more complicated. I won't get into detail about that here. If you nevertheless want to do this, then I suggest contacting a local attorney where you live. A reputable attorney should be able to do this for you for a modest fee (you might expect a fee of $100 to $175). Get it done right. It's better than trying to get a form at a store like Staples which does not even carry NJ-specific documents, and just to save a small amount of money.

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

I agree with Jeffrey, and I will assist you for $100 plus recording fees, which will be around $75.00. Call me at 973-377-3313 if you need assistance. I will need to see a copy of your original Deed and the Death Certificate. Sometimes it is better to record a new Deed, as it will eliminate questions about your spouse down the road if and when the house is ever sold.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey