New Jersey  |  Real Estate Law

Good afternoon,

I am writing with a question related to a condominium issue. I am a current owner and have had issues with water (from rain/storms) flooding the apartment . The issue is in the common area (outside of building) and the water seeps through the base of the wall and enters my apartment. I was told that the condo nboard is seeking damages from the developer (who left the project with these issues unresolved). Mean while, I am paying monthly maintenance fees to the management company. Nothing has been done by them to resolve this. Is there any action that I can take? (Environmental issues, expenses, value of condo) ..all of these things are affecting me..Thank you for your help!

Answered on: 8/07/13, 4:02 pm by Keith Singer

Based on the information presented you will need to hire an attorney. You may call my office to discuss in further detail tomorrow, there is no charge for a telephone consultation. Best regards, Keith Singer, Esq. 732-749-3700

Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law 1901 Route 71, Suite 3-E West Belmar, NJ 07719

Answered on: 8/08/13, 9:45 am by Kevin Begley

You need to look at your By-Laws, but you are responsible for some portion of the interior wall IN, and the association responsible for everything else. Your Board MUST have contact your insurance carrier by now, should have engineering reports, recommendations, etc. There is probably a solution (or options to resolve), and it sounds like they may have an attorney involved already. You should have access to all that information. Demand all the information on the issues and review it. If it appears they are being aggressive in resolving, you may not need to sue yourself. If not, you may want to get an attorney. Even if they are suing, there MUST be temporary measures they can take to mitigate or remediate the problem. Do you get water IN your unit whenever it rains? When it rains heavily? When did it start? Was it an issue last winter? Have you opened the walls up to check for mold issues and let it dry out? I was a construction engineer for 15 years before I started practicing law, and I can goto Union county, if you want to call me. 7325258200.

Kevin J. Begley - Attorney at Law 96 Main Street Matawan, NJ 087747