Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Jersey

my ex and i own a vacant lot in NM that is part of a resort community that charges annual amenity fees. We live in NJ and have not paid the fees for the past few yrs bc having gone through a divorce and a daughter in college, we cannot afford them (we also still owe on property more than current market value, tried to sell but no luck). We have been issued a summons by NM district court to pay over $4000 in back fees or risk getting sued. Do we have any rights here? What happens if do not reply to the summons? Please help!

Asked on 7/03/13, 12:25 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

sadly, I have to tell you that you need to know what the law is in NM, not New Jersey. if they sue you for $4000.00 and get a judgment, they may be able to file that NM judgment here and then seize your bank account and wages until they get paid the whole amount.

you need to talk to a NM attorney. more money wasted, but you risk losing a lot more if you do nothing.

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 12:27 pm
Keith Singer Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you have received a summons you have been sued and must file an answer or risk losing by default. You need to hire a NM attorney to file an answer for you but what is your defense?

Read more
Answered on 7/03/13, 1:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Jersey

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now