New Jersey  |  Real Estate Law

my ex and i own a vacant lot in NM that is part of a resort community that charges annual amenity fees. We live in NJ and have not paid the fees for the past few yrs bc having gone through a divorce and a daughter in college, we cannot afford them (we also still owe on property more than current market value, tried to sell but no luck). We have been issued a summons by NM district court to pay over $4000 in back fees or risk getting sued. Do we have any rights here? What happens if do not reply to the summons? Please help!

Answered on: 7/03/13, 12:27 pm by Robert Davies

sadly, I have to tell you that you need to know what the law is in NM, not New Jersey. if they sue you for $4000.00 and get a judgment, they may be able to file that NM judgment here and then seize your bank account and wages until they get paid the whole amount.

you need to talk to a NM attorney. more money wasted, but you risk losing a lot more if you do nothing.

The Davies Law Firm, P.A. 45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West Hackensack, NJ 07601

Answered on: 7/03/13, 1:34 pm by Keith Singer

If you have received a summons you have been sued and must file an answer or risk losing by default. You need to hire a NM attorney to file an answer for you but what is your defense?

Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law 1901 Route 71, Suite 3-E West Belmar, NJ 07719