Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

If a 20 year old woman marries a homosexual male from South America, how can yi be annulled. New Mexico

Asked on 9/22/13, 4:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The annulment statute had that word removed. Annulment only applied to limited circumstances anyway, probably not including the one you mention. The only marriages currently deemed voidable are between prohibited persons (incestuous) and when one party is under 16; those can be declared void (essentially annulled) by court decree. See new mexico statutes: NMSA 40-9-6, -7, and -9.

If the marriage took place in South America you might look at that country's law to see whether it's valid or not. If it's valid there, it's almost certainly valid here unless you can show the marriage took place out of the country in order to avoid New Mexico law and/or to perpetrate some fraud. So you're looking at divorce, not annulment.

P.S.: There's no U.S. law that stops a woman from marrying a homosexual male.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 5:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now