Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Collecting on a judgement

My ex-boyfriend refused to return my property when I moved out. He also refuses to pay me for money I lent him. I have cancelled checks to prove the loans. His income is Social Security Retirement, State Employee Retirement (NMPERA) and $1200/month rental income. Can any of these forms of income be garnished if I get a court-ordered judgement?

Asked on 2/01/09, 3:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Collecting on a judgement

The rental income can be garnished, the PERA and Social Security cannot - unless they're in a bank account in which they have been commingled with other garnishable funds.

Read more
Answered on 2/01/09, 6:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now