New Mexico  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/29/13, 2:33 pm

I have been notified that a I may have a child who is now 19 years old. I can do a dna test to make sure. If she is my daughter what are the possible legal ramifications. Can her mother sue me for back child support for a child I didn't know I had ?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/29/13, 2:53 pm by George Chandler

By one theory the child can sue you for up to 12 years back child support if she files before she is twenty one. This is pretty complicated and you should consult with an attorney in person before you do anything, including the DNA test.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

George Chandler Law 1208 9th Street Los Alamos, NM 87544

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search