Legal Question in Family Law in New York

where can i file for legal aid for a divorce. My ex and I sat together to try to come to an agreement. It didnt work and he went and filed for divorce stating that he wants to claim our daughter on his tax return. He shouldnt have any right to that considering i have the residential custody. He is not even paying the full amount for CS right now. Nor was he paying half of the medical copays and prescriptions. I had help filing out the response to his demand. I also sent one back to him and he had it returned by the post office. What do i do next??? We have been married for 6yrs now never filed for legal separation. We have been separated for 4 and just filing now.

Asked on 8/06/12, 11:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carol Ryder Law Office of Carol Ryder PC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Call Touro Law Clinic and Nassau/Suffolk Law Services. The Suffolk Bar Assn has a reduced fee program also and you can get a 1/2 hour free consult. I d/k how backed up they are now but they can guide you further. The less-monied spouse is entitled to pendente lite relief for legal help BUT you need to get to that point of someone filing for it. Also, I d/k what you have but if he is not paying according to a support order, he is violating a Court Order. If you don't have one, get one, and ask them to have it done through the unit that enforces these. They can suspend his license, take it out of his pay (obviously, needs a W2 job), etc.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/12, 9:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now