Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Can I legally keep my daughter away from my father, her grandfather, if I feel he is a potential danger because he uses drugs and is abusive to his wife? Also, my daughters father continues to grant visitation to my daughter (he and I are separated) when she spends time at his place. Can you please advise on what legal action I should take in NYC? Thank you so much.

Asked on 10/14/13, 12:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

First, while you have custody, you can keep your daughter away from your father and grandfather.

Is there a custody order in place? If so, you may have to file a petition to modify the order to prevent him from having your daughter around them.

If there isn't a custody order in place and you were never married to the father, you can dictate the terms of visitation with the mother.

Also licensed in New York.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/13, 9:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now