Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Can I get sole custody in NYC based on my son's father being verbally abusive towards him using curse words such as "faggot". He is not there for him financially and whenever I need a form signed by him for any sort of consent, It takes weeks and months. He has been arrested for domestic violence and DUI.

Asked on 7/10/13, 10:13 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steve Brodsky Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can almost certainly get sole physical custody (i.e. your son lives with you). You may also have a good chance of getting sole legal custody. You should consult a divorce lawyer. Feel free to call us at 212-913-9907.

Read more
7/10/13, 10:17 am
Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If there is not presently an order of custody you stand a good chance of getting it. You will need to file a petition in the family court. If there is already an order you will have to seek to modify it.

Read more
7/10/13, 12:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88333 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now