Legal Question in Family Law in New York

hi there im in the state of new york i havent been able to pay my child support for 4 years due to inestability of work and currently unemployment i petitioned for a modification of support last year the other party never showed up i have notarized letter of person that served her husband and just recently did again file for anither modification im currently on public assistance (food stamps, medicaid) when i went to the hearing custodial parents lawyer served me personally for nonpayment judge dismissed my petitioned and picked up theirs now im looking to serve up to 6 months in jail because thats what custodial parents wants and i have no means to pay im not hiding i have been trying to modify also because im getting charge child care fir my son thats gonna be 17 years what can i do to show the judge that i unwillfully not paying?

Bruce Provda Provda Law Firm

If jail time is involved and you are indigent or very low income the court should appoint an attorney to represent you. You need to ask for representation and not try to do this on your own.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York