New York  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/14/13, 9:49 am

hi there im in the state of new york i havent been able to pay my child support for 4 years due to inestability of work and currently unemployment i petitioned for a modification of support last year the other party never showed up i have notarized letter of person that served her husband and just recently did again file for anither modification im currently on public assistance (food stamps, medicaid) when i went to the hearing custodial parents lawyer served me personally for nonpayment judge dismissed my petitioned and picked up theirs now im looking to serve up to 6 months in jail because thats what custodial parents wants and i have no means to pay im not hiding i have been trying to modify also because im getting charge child care fir my son thats gonna be 17 years what can i do to show the judge that i unwillfully not paying?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/24/13, 1:37 pm by Bruce Provda

If jail time is involved and you are indigent or very low income the court should appoint an attorney to represent you. You need to ask for representation and not try to do this on your own.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Provda Law Firm 40 Wall Street, 11 Floor New York, NY 10005

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search