New York  |  Insurance Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/24/13, 11:17 am

My mother got hit by an suv while crossing the street (one way). The car was going on reverse and hit her on her left side. As a consequence she has a broken nose, arm and toes, plus swollen feet. She might need surgery for her arm.

The car insurance, Geico, in NYC told her that they would cover her medical bills up to $50 000. My mother consulted with a lawyer and would like to only ask for compensation from the insurance and not personally from the driver.(meaning she would not like to make a "profit" from the driver) Is this possible? Also, the lawyer mentioned that he is entitled to 1/3 of her compensation. Is this an acceptable and set rate? Thank you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search