New York  |  Employment Law

Hello,

Ive received from my employer "Confidential Separation Agreement and General Release"..HR person called me and told me that I violated code of conduct...

What was really happened I had some freelance job(telecommunications industry) last year before Ive started to work for this employer(healthcare) My freelance work was payed through the same system (they are in the same network) this year instead of

last year(late payment) Yes Ive spent few hours on freelance project last year finishing something Ive started before I accept full time offer.

Ive signed "code of conduct" this year and I didnt work on that project this year as well. As I said Ive spent few more hours last year-on beginning of my employment. My freelance work was for telecommunication and my ex-employer is in healthcare industry. Im so confused about everything. Ive immigrated to US last year.

Im not married to this company but I just want to understand my rights before I signed this separation agreement..I would like to know what would happen if I decide to not sign this agreement. I know that I will loose severance(2 week) What companies usually do? They are coming with new better offer? They have some different method to force you to sign this?

Please can I have some short advice

Thank you very much