Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

I have a chronic leak in the bathroom of my apartment, which my landlord has known about since April 2009. They have just came and painted over the problem over and over again dismissing my complaints and saying it was a one time isolated incident from the tenants that live above me. Each time the leaks come back and the ceiling gets ruined again and again. There is white fuzzy mold growing from the sheet rock and the paint is cracked and peeling back. I just discovered a new leak tonight in my bathroom that is spreading to the hallway ceiling and the other side of the wall in my kitchen ceiling. Can I break my lease because of the problems or refuse rent? I am ready to just get out of this apartment because I pay way too much to deal with mold and leaks for 8 months.

Locksley Wade Law Office of Locksley O. Wade

File a complaint with the NYC Housing Preservation and Development (http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/tenants/tenants.shtml). Good luck.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms