New York  |  Real Estate Law

if someone cared for your farm property for years, would they have legal ownership of it? person kept baled hay as payment for the work.

Answered on: 7/18/13, 12:38 pm by Michael Giordano

NO they would not have any legal ownership of the farm just by virtue of having cared for the property unless the current owner specifically deeded the property to the person. Was there any written agreement between the owner of the farm and the person who cared for the property?

My comments are based on treating your question as a hypothetical. Accordingly, my comments could be substantially and materially different were I advised of all of the relevant facts and circumstances. My comments are by necessity general in nature, and should not be relied upon in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without retaining an attorney. In order to fully explore your legal matter, you should meet with me or another attorney and bring to any such meeting all relevant documents and correspondence, and any other relevant facts.

I am not hired to be your attorney, and no attorney-client relationship exists between us, unless and until you enter into a written retainer agreement with me, tender the agreed amount for a retainer and it is accepted by me. I reserve the right to decline representation should circumstances change.

Attorney address not available