Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

lakefront rights

I purchased last fall a NY property with 50' of lake frontage. I do not own lake bed, nor does anyone on this lake. The neighbors have put in a boat and lift that clearly takes away my use of four to five feet of my lake frontage. Now I will be forced to put my boat lift on the other side of my dock, thus leaving no place to swim. Also, standing with two survey markers in front of myself it is obvious that the fence they built is also on my property, how long I do not know. Help, I understand they are very unreasonable. Thanks

florence hessen florence f. hessen,esq

Re: lakefront rights

Hi:

In answer to the question presented, your neighbor sounds like he is a "legend in his own mind!" With an unreasonable neighbor as you describe, before you get lawyers involved, I would try and take one last stab at the "kind and reasonable neighbor trying to resolve a situation." If that does not work and the facts are as you stated, then I would consider a boundry line dispute for the fence that is encroaching on your property. Before looking at this avenue take out your title report and review it to make sure that it is not reported as an exception.

Good Luck

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York