Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New York

my cousin lives in ny..her mom died 2 years ago and her will has been probated..her brother is the executor..the only asset is a house that's fully paid for..both my cousin her sister and her brother all live in the cousin wants out but her portion of the inheritance is in the 200000 dollar value of the house..her brother, the executor doest want to do anything and is dragging his feet..does she have any recourse to make him move forward and sell the house and divvy up the money..or can she force him to take out a home equity and buy her out so she can have money to leave and start a life of her own..all three siblings are grown adults over 50 years old

Asked on 7/25/13, 8:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

She needs to start a suit for partition. If successful, and no reason she should not be, the house will be ordered to be sold or her interest purchased. Of course, I have not seen the Will and if there are any provisions that might prevent this, they will supercede her legal rights.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/13, 8:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now