Legal Question in Bankruptcy in North Carolina

bankruptcy issues

After the Bankruptcy court had closed the case with complete debt release for me, an individual refiled a small claims court case that I was not aware of, and had been included in the debts to be dismissed in the bankruptcy case. This happened in Cumberland county, NC. I just found out about it while asking about a loan to buy a house. I need to know, if something was in the bankruptcy file as a debt to be canceled by the court, and I have not re-avowed the debt, is it legal for anyone to seek a judgment against me? If not, what are my options since the judgment against me has been granted and this is now in my credit report.

Asked on 10/15/07, 8:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randal Ford Randal S. Ford, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: bankruptcy issues

If the debt was included in your case and you received a discharge they cannot proceed with any legal action in regards to that debt. Contact your ORIGINAL bankruptcy attorney and he/she can file suit against the person who continued the action.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/07, 7:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now