North Carolina  |  Family Law

I contacted an attorney about scheduling a meeting---I told them the nature if the meeting which was a slander case and who it involved.

I was told there was a conflict of interest and they couldn't meet

The attorney then sent a letter to the individual I was filing the slander charges against and warned him that I had called and why. Told him he may want to get with his attorney to prepare a defense

Is this illegal or just the "good ole boy" network?

Answered on: 7/14/13, 3:28 pm by Kenneth Love

It depends and I will say its most likely neither illegal nor the "good ole boy" network...it is unadvisable.

If the attorney had represented the previous party, then he was right to decline representation of you. If he sent a letter to his former client that you may sue him and only said this, he probably broke no ethics rules...although I probably would not have done the same thing.

He would be at fault if he met with you learned facts about the case and provided this info to his former client. If he did not do this, then it is unlikely he broke any rules.

He is right, slander cases are very difficult to win and even if you do collection of the lawsuit is not the easiest thing to do.

Ken Love Law 3410 Healy Drive Winston Salem, NC 27103