Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My ex husband of 5 years won't take my name off of the house we bought. How can I make him take my name off the mortgage ? Also can I make him pay for the lawyer I might have to get?

Asked on 10/24/13, 5:19 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your husband CAN"T take you off the mortgage. He can only try to refinance which may or may not happen based on his credit worthiness and income. You need to speak to a family law attorney to see what a Court may or may not be able to order.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 10:04 am
Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr. Love is right on regarding your first question. This should have been resolved prior to your divorce. At this point, I'm not sure there is much the Court can do but it never hurts to check. As to your second question, the answer is probably not. Unlike England, we follow the American Rule where generally speaking, each party is responsible for their own attorney fees. However, IF you have a Separation Agreement and IF he is in breech for not refinancing and IF your Agreement has a clause that states a breeching party will be liable for the non breeching parties attorney fees, then maybe you have a shot at being reimbursed for your attorney fees. But you don't have a Separation Agreement because if you had that foresight we wouldn't be here 5 years later still dealing with old property issues!

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 1:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now