Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

Is it legal for a Dr. in practice to write out checks for alimony out of her business account?

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

Presumably, you are the recipient of the alimony - so what do you care where the money comes from? Unless of course, you are a busy body ex looking to extract that pound of flesh and then some by looking for every opportunity you can to cause the good doctor grief! If you are not the recipient you should really mind yer own business. Anywho, Its not something I would do because mixing personal expenses with business money causes my bookkeeper and CPA to sit there all pinch faced and snarl curses at me, like the time I bought tickets to Rush in concert with my business card - but I digress. It was a great concert though - they still rock! In any event, yes it is most likely legal. Especially, if it is the doctors business. The only way I can think of (however, there are probably others) that it would be illegal is if it is not his money and he is embezzling from the business. However, not much chance of that being the case since she is writing very traceable checks.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina