Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

A co-worker borrowed money from me because he was nearly evicted from his apartment, I sympathized with his problem and borrowed money from friends and co-workers since I didnít have the money. In return I have spent more than 18 months begging for my money back. The amount was only $250 and I thought of a small claims court but I found myself full or rage, anger and distrust of everyone around me. When am at work around him I feel I should isolate myself and stay away from him because I am so mad and itís making my work environment very painful. I work 4 different jobs to make ends meet, I support my mother whoís not covered by medical insurance, 3 nieces cause their parents are unemployed and I work really hard to make sure no one in my family sleeps hungry. I cannot lose any of my jobs and aside for needing my $250 back I also need to keep my job where he works and he is not making it easier on me at all, I can not quit and I am truly scared I will have a nervous breakdown being around a person who took and still taking advantage of me every day. Can I Sue him to get my money back and for emotional distress?

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law

You can sue for the money back but you can't sue for emotional distress.

1. You can't sue for emotional distress for a simple breach of contract, which this is...unless he has an argument that the money was a gift...in which case you don't even have a contract.

2. The emotional distress is essentially caused by you...not him.

First, NEVER loan people money if you expect it back. Not being paid back has caused you a great deal of abnormal stress and you should learn from this to never give out money again.

Second, remember if the person has to borrow, it is a very good possibility that they don't have it to give back.

Finally, even if you get a judgment, the debt collections laws in NC are difficult. You may never actually collect on the judgment. I strongly recommend moving past this.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina