Legal Question in Workers Comp in North Carolina

Suspnsion of benifits

I have been receiving worker's comp benifits for some time and have always cooperated with all job search efforts asked of me. The carrier has now filed a form 24 to temporarally suspend my benifits because I now require major surgery for an illness that may not be related to my original illness. The reason given is ''I am not able to participate in job search'' because of my current medical condition. Can this be legally done and approved by the NCIC? Should I retain a lawyer to protect my rights or is this process something I might handle? Is the carrier using this as an attempt to relieve itself of what is now a lenghtly claim spannning many years of benitfit payments?

Stephen Camak Lennon, Camak & Bertics, PLLC

Re: Suspnsion of benifits

I think the carrier's attempt to cut your benefits off is legally unsupportable and contrary to law.

I think you should consult with an experienced workers' compensation attorney ASAP, as you only have 17 days to respond from the date it is filed. You should also read materials available at the Industrial Commission's website. Their link can be found at ncworkcomp.com. Good luck!

S. Neal Camak

Board Certified Specialist in NC Workers' Conmpensation Law

Lennon & Camak, PLLC

Raleigh, NC

George Lennon Lennon, Camak & Bertics, PLLC

Re: Suspension of benifits

YES, you need an attorney ASAP. There is a very short response time to the Form 24. If approved, it may be YEARS before benefits will be reinstated by the Industrial Commission. Good luck!

Http://www.ncworkcomp.com

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms