Ohio  |  Criminal Law

Noise Complaint

I recently received a noise violation. When the police arrived at my apartment it was 4 am so i reduced the music and checked through the peep hole to see who it was. I could not see anyone and the police man did not identify himself so i said nothing and did not answer the door. The next day at 9 pm while sitting in my living room i turn to see the police man standing at my patio door looking at me. He pounds on the door flustered i answered the door to see whats wrong. He gives me a ticket for the noise violation. He dated it at the previous night and said that he heard loud music and since I refused to answer the door gave me the ticket. The citation given was disorderly conduct. Is this the appropriate charge? Is is legal to get a ticket after the fact? I feel harassed by him coming to my back door was he allowed to do that? The ticket is only 150 is it best to pay it and be done? He also openly admitted that he kicked our front door which is now dented and damaged. Do I have the right to pursue action against him.

Answered on: 3/24/09, 8:18 am by Bill Hanner

Re: Noise Complaint

Is disorderly conduct an appropriate charge? Yes. Is it legal to give you a ticket after the fact? Yes. Is the police officer allowed to come to your back door? Yes. Is it best to just pay the ticket and be done? Yes. Do you have the right to pursue action against the police officer for damaging your door? Yes.

Hanner Law Office 200 Bonnett St. SW North Canton, OH 44720