Ohio  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I am in Crawford county Ohio. I have a renters lease and the Owner isn't fixing a lot of issues. So I've been looking at how to get out of my lease. My lease states a one year lease but he typed the dates as May 1 2013 to April 30 2013. Would this make my lease void?

Answered on: 7/01/13, 3:46 pm by Eric Willison

In Ohio, Most judges would see it as a typo graphical error And allow reformation of the contract in order to Make sure that the intent of the parties was met. If you're having trouble getting your landlord to fix things around the rented property, Then you should send him a letter Keeping a photocopy of what you sent and sending it certified mail return receipt requested. In that letter you need to describe the problems you're having with the rental property. The law give him 30 days from the date he receives that letter to fix the problems. If he does not fix the problem within the time required, then you can begin to escrow your rent with your local municipal court. if you don't have a local municipal court in you can escrow Court of Common Pleas. The court will not release the rent to the landlord until he is fix the problem.

Law Office of Eric E. Willison 625 City Park Avenue Columbus, OH 43206