Pennsylvania  |  Business Law

I am interested in submitting a new recipe idea to some of the larger companies and would like to know the procedure and how I can protect my interests in the process.

Answered on: 2/13/12, 5:40 pm by Sharmil McKee

You have a couple of options. First copyright your recipes with the copyright office for $ 35 at copyright.gov. Second, you could submit a contract with your proposal that states if the company uses the recipe, they agree to compensate you for the use of your intellectual property. Of course, I wouldn't send the recipe but the resulting food product (like a sample). This way your recipe is protected by trade secret. You should have a long conversation with an attorney to discuss your options. each protection vehicle you chose has pluses and negatives. The best choice for you depends on your goals and risk tolerance. I also recommend that you join an organization of other culinary artists, to learn how other people introduce their recipes to big companies while protecting their intellectual property. Good luck.

McKee Law Office 245 W. Allens Lane Philadelphia, PA 19119

Answered on: 2/14/12, 12:10 pm by Sharmil McKee

I assume that your recipe is more than a mere list of ingredients; a mere list of ingredients is not protectable. However, if you recipe includes a description or illustration or explanation, then copyright law will protect your recipe.