Legal Question in Entertainment Law in Pennsylvania

Question on Distributing a DVD

A group of friends and me have made a feature length film. We have full rights to the movie and everything, and we cleared it all out to sell to a limited audience. However, we wanted to include a short film we made last year on the DVD we’re selling. This short movie uses music from Disney’s “National Treasure” and we were just going to include it as a free bonus, not included in the price of the feature length film. We were wondering if it was legal to sell the movie for profit, but include the old movie as a bonus.

Asked on 5/29/08, 2:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roger Traversa Arjont Group (Law Office of Roger Traversa)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Question on Distributing a DVD

You asked about clearance rights to movie music.

In the specific circumstance you described: The answer is NO.

Contact a lawyer and s/he can help you obtain the clearances you need. There is plenty of music available with public rights, or cheap rights, that may be used rather than a piece that must be cleared.



Read more
Answered on 5/29/08, 4:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Entertainment & Sport Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now