Texas  |  Real Estate Law

Verbal Agreement with Boyfriend

My boyfriend was going to buy a condo. The downpayment and closing costs were going to be $10,000. I told him I would pay $5000 of the downpayment & closing costs and we would split the mortgage payment, HOA fees, etc.

He was denied a mortgage because of his credit. I obtained a mortgage in my name (warranty deed). I accepted his $5000 payment.

Though I have met my obligation by paying the mortgage, etc. on time, his payments to me for his half have been sporadic. Neither of us lives in the condo on a regular basis. There is no formal cohabitation. It was simply the half-way point between our respective cities and was convenient for the sake of travel.

We are now splitting up. Does this man have any legal recourse if I decide to sell or lease this property? His name does not appear on any documents.