Texas  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/09/03, 11:50 am

Verbal Agreement with Boyfriend

My boyfriend was going to buy a condo. The downpayment and closing costs were going to be $10,000. I told him I would pay $5000 of the downpayment & closing costs and we would split the mortgage payment, HOA fees, etc.

He was denied a mortgage because of his credit. I obtained a mortgage in my name (warranty deed). I accepted his $5000 payment.

Though I have met my obligation by paying the mortgage, etc. on time, his payments to me for his half have been sporadic. Neither of us lives in the condo on a regular basis. There is no formal cohabitation. It was simply the half-way point between our respective cities and was convenient for the sake of travel.

We are now splitting up. Does this man have any legal recourse if I decide to sell or lease this property? His name does not appear on any documents.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search