Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I live in Texas and about 3 years ago my boyfriend and I went to the court house and signed an Informal marriage certificate. Does this type of marriage require a divorce? We are no longer together, but would like to have all ties between us cut, if there are any. Thank you!

Asked on 6/29/10, 8:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bobby Warren Patel & Warren, PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

An informal marriage certificate has the same legal effect as a marriage license. You are just as married as the person who has a marriage license and had a church wedding. Therefore, if you are ending the relationship and wish to dissolve the marriage, you will need to file for divorce.

Read more
Answered on 6/29/10, 11:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now