Texas  |  Family Law

My son is 17 and has two more years of school left. His father has custody and has been visiting me for the summer. His father told him when he comes home for me to wait outside because my son is not going to like what he has to say and will probably want to leave. The problem I have is that his father will not give me custody and would just file charges against me saying I never brought him home. What do I do??

Answered on: 8/21/13, 2:45 pm by Bruce Zivley

Since your son is 17, he can have a voice as to where he would prefer to live. I would be glad to visit with you concerning your options if you would contact me directly

Bruce C. Zivley, Attorney at Law Two Greenway Plaza, Suite 600 Houston, TX 77046

Answered on: 8/21/13, 3:05 pm by Fran Brochstein

I agree with Attorney Zivley. You can file to modify custody. You can ask the judge to interview the child in chambers & talk to the child without anyone present. The judge wants this child to graduate from high school.

The child can record the conversation with his father and play it for the judge. Go to radio shack or somewhere and buy a small, cheap recording device. They are digital these days & easy to operate.

Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator 8978 Kirby Drive Houston, TX 77054