Legal Question in Immigration Law in Texas

Dear lawyer,

When I interview at U.S Ambassador in my country, I was sponsored (in I-20, and financial documents) by my cousin (U.S resident) to study in U.S (F1 VISA). After a year, I transferred to another college by my financial statements. So now my cousin and I have a conflict and then my cousin said that She will call police and U.S Ambassador to investigate or expel me.

Please give me an advice!! Can she do anything or have ability to make effect on me. (I've good status)

Thanks

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

First of all, Immigration Law is governed by the U.S. Federal Government, so your cousin's threat of "calling the police" is just an idle threat. The "police" cannot and will not do anything about an immigration matter. Moreover, you do not seem to be in violation of an immigration law.

If you are in the United States, the U.S. Consulate cannot "expel" (or deport) you. Your cousin has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Furthermore, as long as you can financially support yourself, or someone else can support you, you are fine. In addition, if you have been in F-1 status for one year, you can discuss obtaining "CPT" with your school, based on your financial hardship; that way you can legally work!

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Texas