Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Virginia

how can I get a dismissal of a filed chapter 7. I have a car that is NOT mine but belongs to my son, but was titled in my name to get a better rate on insurance. Now the trustee wants to sell my sons car to pay my debts.

Asked on 7/17/13, 12:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You do not have a right to dismiss a chapter 7, and if the trustee is administering assets, there is no way the court would grant such a request. It may be possible to convert to chapter 13, or you may be able to buy the car back from the trustee. You need to discuss this with your bankruptcy lawyer (if you don't have one, hire one NOW).

It may also be possible for your son to argue that the car is indeed his, because he is the only one that drives it, assuming he paid for it 100% with his own money that you did give him, but the title in your name will be hard to overcome (and perhaps you reported to the insurance company falsely that you do drive it? - if so, you would be admitting to insurance fraud).

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 3:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now