Virginia  |  Business Law

Hi, I am a member of a sorority and recently at one of our events we had 3 individuals cause damage to a bus we were on. The resulting fines amounted to over 1000$. Our sorority council then informed us that the people who caused the damage would pay for half and th rest of the sorority would cover the rest as a punishment for "our bad behavior" (despite the fact that only 3 sisters caused the damage). I was not even at the event in question so I was upset that I had was being forced to pay a fine. When I asked what authority they had to fine me (because there is nothing in our bylaws which states we could potentially be responsible for fines incurred by other sisters), they cited the fact that our National organization approved of the fine and I signed a contract a year ago saying I would "meet all financial obligations". Do they have any right to force me to pay this fine?

Answered on: 4/30/13, 11:46 am by Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, (in my opinion) if you signed a valid contract whereby you

voluntarily agreed to "meet all financial obligations" (including those approved

or imposed by the National organization if such actually occurred).

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314