Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

went into Sanford Brown College with an intent to get my Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice. I sat down and talked to a lady named Ms. Bradshaw , She seemed nice and straight forward. I told her that I did not want to attend the school if I had to take out thousands of dollars in loans. I'm a single mom and I was a cashier at Wal-Mart making $500 a paycheck and I didn't want to have a burden of large amounts of money following behind me. She Smiled and informed me she had great news, I was approved for a Grant that would cover the amount needed to get my Bachelor's degree at that school. I told her, I'm ready to attend the school. After attending the school, I thought it was very ... unsatisfactory I should say. The teachers didn't teach anything. After about 3 months maybe, I decided that school wasn't for me. It was a school for students looking for an easy degree. I withdrew from the school. I just received a call from a bill collector in.California saying I owe $9000 in student loans from attending Sanford Brown College... My first thought was "But Ms. Bradshaw said I didn't need to take out any loans.." Can I sue the school for misleading me? If not, what can I do?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Unless you actually signed a written contract or agreement whereby

you knowingly and voluntarily undertook to assume this student

loan obligation, you should have little to be concerned

about (in my opinion).

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms