Virginia  |  DUI Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/10/13, 6:30 pm

8 years ago I lived in VA and was arreted for DUI. I was sentenced to 30 days in jail, license suspended, and I had to take a Vasap class. I found a job in another state and left without completing the class. A VA warrent was issued for me. This year I moved to South Carolina and needed my license here. I was stopped by the police here for suspended license. I contacted the VA DMV and they said I had to pay a ticket and a fee for icense reinstatement; I did. My mistake was thinking I had to complete VASAP or another program here, so I paid the fee to VASAP, and alerted them to my address here. An aproved class here would cost $3000 and take 6 + months, so I did not attend one. Neither the police stop or the application process for an SC license turned up the VA warrant, so now Ihave anSC license. But the VA VASAP in Newport NEWS now sent me a letter, to my address in SC, saying now that Idid not complete the program, they would report it to the court.

My question is, did alerting VASAP suddenly open up a new warrant? Since the court now knows my address, would they really come down here and arrest and extradite me to VA because 8 years ago I didn't take a class?

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/10/13, 9:01 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

No, the old warrant remained in the law enforcement databases as it may indefinitely for the future until it's finally executed (at your expense).

And, no, I doubt that the Commonwealth would now want to send its law enforcement agents to South Carolina to have you extradited for failure to complete a VASAP class of some eight years ago, but if you're thinking of driving up to Virginia for any reason at all--at any time in the future, BEWARE, as I would suggest that you bring a few extra tooth brushes and sufficient dental paste along with you as you could find yourself, "cooling your heels" for a time, as the old saying goes, in one of the Commonwealth's local slammers.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search