Legal Question in DUI Law in Virginia

Drunk In Public - Arlington Virginia

This past weekend I was issued a Drunk In Public (DIP) and was arrested. On the ticket that I was issued, it says that it is a Class 4 Misdemeanor. It appears to me that this is a local misdemeanor (is there a difference?) due to a violation of section 17-7 in Arlington. The ''Virginia Crime Code'' is OBS-3712-04.

My question is - should I look at getting an attorney, or should I just pay this ticket? An officer in the police station told me that this ticket would not show up in future background investigations when I am applying for a job. Is this true?

If this is a ''slap on the wrist'', then I don't have a problem paying it; however, if I am going to be questioned on a Drunk In Public when applying to future jobs, I would like to fight it if possible.

Thanks.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: Drunk In Public - Arlington Virginia

I would not fully credit the officer's assertion that your conviction on this DIP charge by simply paying the ticket would never show up in some agency's database.

Better get a lawyer.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Virginia