Legal Question in Education Law in Virginia

Two weeks ago my 12-year's daughter was trying to finish her history homework in her school's hallway (she didn't do it the night before because her late evening school orchestra performance). Earlier a classmate asked my daughter to hold her homework so she could go get her lunch. While my daughter was doing her homework and holding her classmate's under hers, a passing-by science teacher (not hers) stopped her and accused her for copping another student's homework, and reported the "cheating" instance to her history teacher. The history teacher told my daughter she had to respect the science teacher's report and will not give any credit to her for that homework. We believe our daughter is innocent and have requested a meeting with the school counselor and the two teachers. If the matter can not be resolved to our satisfaction through the school official we like to know what legal right or option we will have.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Contact the next higher ups at the school, assistant principal, and principal, if need be.

More Education Law questions and answers in Virginia