Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/18/13, 2:08 pm

If a custodial is sentenced to jail what is the proper procedure the non custodial parent should take to obtain the children? What is the rights of the non-custodial parent who has visitation? Should non-custodial parent just go get children? The custodial parent is remarried, the spouse is not in the custody order.

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/19/13, 5:28 am by Paul B. Ward

the procedure is to file for a change of custody in the court where the custody was last determined. If the other parent is incarcerated it gets a bit more complicated, in that a guardian ad litem must be appointed for the incarcerated parent.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Paul B. Ward 8304 Old Courthouse Road, Suite B Vienna,, VA 22182

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search