Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

If my husband left myself and our son 3 weeks ago, the house is in his name, but he is not staying here, am I allowed to change the locks?

Asked on 8/08/13, 8:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Since your husband apparently still has an absolute and unconditional

right to enter the marital home, if you were to change the locks, he could break down the door or window(s) to gain entry and do so with legal impunity (in my opinion).

Read more
Answered on 8/08/13, 9:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now