Virginia  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/04/06, 4:44 pm

State of Virginia Divorce Decree

My fiance and I are getting married on June 10th. He was divorced previously. His ex wife and him did not have anyone represent them in court. She took all of the action and represented herself since she was the one filing for the divorce. Now we can not get a divorce decree because she does not want to draw up the decree papers. There is a website that lets you buy the Virginia divorce decree paper for 9.99 and download it so you can do it yourself. My fiance was told he would have to get a paper authorized from the court saying he was divorced then have to go to a divorce lawyer and let them draw it up for him. Can we download this form off of the website and then not have to go through the lawyer or will we still have to go through a lawyer? Also, if we have to go through a lawyer will we still be able to be married in June? Please let me know as soon as possible time is preciuos right now.

Much Thanks,

--name removed--Norman

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search