Legal Question in Immigration Law in Virginia

marrying to US citizen


I came to US with F1 visa 3 years ago and my visa has expired on March 2004. I have OPT card valid till Feb 20, 2005. Generally the consulates give F1 visa for three years (2 years of Master's degree plus 1 yr of OPT) but mine was for 2,5 years. My fiancee is a US citizen and we wanna get marry in two weeks in Las Vegas. My questions are;

Am I still legal to make a marriage? May there be any possibility that INS could send me back to my home country because my visa has expired?

Is there any difference or risks involved if we marry in Las Vegas instead of VA or DC?

Thanks a lot

Asked on 11/16/04, 7:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Myron Morales Lee Lane Smith LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: marrying to US citizen

You will be eligible to adjust your status to that of a lawful permanent resident. Anytime out of status will be cured by the marriage.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/21/04, 6:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Adam LambertThe Law Office of Adam S. LambertNew Orleans, LA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now