Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

Apartment Lease

I am living in an apartment and I am not on the lease. The lease is in my roomates name, I was wondering if I am living there illegaly, and what i would have to do if i wanted to leave the apt. at an earlier date. I stll have about 8 months to go before the lease runs out. Should i provide a list of possible roomates to replace me? do i need to pay extra rent? Do i need to give writen notice

Asked on 9/26/07, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Eugene Policastri Bromberg, Rosenthal, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Apartment Lease

Usually apartment leases provide the names of the occupants. Technically the landlord could ask either that you sign the lease or that you leave, as long as the rent is being paid and the apartment is not being damaged and rules are complied with the landlord is unlikely to raise an issue.

The agreement seems to be verbal between you and your roommate. If you wanted to leave, you could do so depending on what your agreement is with your roomate. Your only obligation flows to your roomate.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/07, 11:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now