Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Legal Options Needed to sell my home

I have been divorced since 1999. While married, I bought a home in 1990. My ex-wife gave up all rights to the home as stated in our separation agreement. She has not resided in the home since 1994 when we separated. I have been the only person residing there ever since. Paperwork was never submitted to remove her from the deed. She has since remarried and has her own home in California. Three months ago, paperwork was generated by attorneys from the mortgage company because I wanted to take out a home equity loan and now she refuses to sign. I want to sell the home but I can't because I need her signature. How can I go about getting her name removed from the deed of the home?

Need advice on what option(s) I have to legally remove her name.

Thank you

Asked on 1/24/03, 12:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Sawyer Sawyer & Azarcon, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Legal Options Needed to sell my home

You need to consult with a local domestic relations attorney, ASAP. You cannot do this on your own. Court intervention is required. Did you have an attorney for your divorce? If so, check first with him/her.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/03, 7:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now